Australia’s favourite culinary icon and the most well known chef in the country Maggie Beer will add a touch of Barossa Valley when she brings her repertoire and joins the culinary team on the Orpheus Island and hosts a special weekend from September 5 to 8th, 2013.
OrpheusIsland’s sparkling blue waters and the gorgeous golden sand will be a perfect setting for this congruence of the best culinary hands on the island and the country, while a select group of 12 couples will share Maggie’s passion for seasonal produce and country cooking styles.
Revealing her excitement to be able to host this special event, she expressed her joy to be able to share with the guests everything that is special about Orpheus, including the fresh local produce. She promised a bounty, thanks to the congruence of skilled culinary hands and the fresh local produce, something that is going to be truly inspirational for the guests.
Orpheus, being a tropical island obviously offers more than just the promise of good food. The island offers a range of activities for guests. It is a great place to dive and explore the rich marine bio-diversity. Guests have options to indulge in snorkelling, fishing, cruising or simply relaxing and getting their batteries recharged. In evening they will enjoy a touch of Maggie’s magic in the form of some of her favourite recipes conjured up from fresh local produce. For the serious culinary enthusiast, Maggie will be hosting two bespoke masterclasses on country cooking and share her cooking secrets with those who are interested.
Speaking on the occasion, Orpheus’s head chef Arie Prabowo, mentioned that Maggie is a brilliant cook and it will be a pleasure to be able to join her in the kitchen and learn from her experiences. Prabowo also mentioned that they both share a common love for locally available fresh produce.
Maggie’s career as a culinary expert began when she migrated from Sydney to BarossaValley with her husband Colin in 1973. From that moment onwards Maggie has curved a name for herself having found success in the restaurant and the food manufacturing businesses. Maggie is a true foodie and has also got eight cookbooks to her credit apart from hosting ABC’s The Cook and the Chef with Simon Bryant. In 2012, Maggie was awarded the Order of Australia (AM) for her contribution to the tourism and hospitality industry.
The weekend program with Maggie on the OrpheusIsland (starting at $4800 per couple) will include –
- 3 nights beachfront accommodation
- Opening evening cocktail party, hosted by Orpheus and Maggie
- Two 1.5 hour gourmet masterclasses led by Maggie, sharing exclusive recipes!
- Three dinners showcasing Maggie’s favourite seasonal recipes
- A welcome gift of Maggie’s pantry essentials
- All meals and selected regional wines and beers
- One signature Orpheus ‘experience’ daily – snorkelling, fishing, island cruise
- Unlimited use of motorised dinghies, sea kayaks, catamarans, snorkelling equipment and light fishing tackle
- Return helicopter transfers between Townsville and Orpheus for two guests (30 minute journey each way)