Tim Warner from Britain is suing Thomas Cook, a travel company following a bout with cholera which he said he caught while vacationing in Tunisia.
Mr. Warner, 47, an architect, who resides in Telford, Shropshire, originally believed he picked up food poisoning but later learned once he’d returned home that it was an infection.
The architect and his GP associate Dr. Amanda Dworak, 39, shelled out £1488 ($2707) for a vacation package lasting 12 days at the all-inclusive Sol Azur Beach Hotel in Hammamet. Shortly after arriving, Mr. Warner became very ill.
“The doctor said if I was going to die, I would have by then. I was gobsmacked,” Mr. Warner said.
Mr. Warner and Ms. Dworak said others at the hotel were overcome with sickness as well.
“The first thing we noticed was the smell of raw sewage — it was unbelievable,” Mr. Warner recalled.
The 47-year old also contends he is not alone in suing the travel company. Other guests staying at the hotel have also decided to sue Thomas Cook. The travel agency said it is in current talks with Mr. Warner’s lawyers.