Queenstown Airport has ranked #1 on a list of the world’s most stunning airport approaches.
The New Zealand airport has come out on top in a poll by the private charter flight company PrivateFly. The poll ranked 147 airports around the globe to create a list of the Top 10 Most Stunning Airport Approaches. The poll was conducted throughout March and April 2015 and collected votes from more than 3000 participants.
“The approach to Queenstown has everything. Looking over the endless Southern Alps, and the pristine turquoise rivers and lakes is just magical,” one voter says.
Queenstown Airport is also the only international airport in the southwestern region of New Zealand’s South Island. Nestled between jagged mountains, glistening lakes and rivers, it’s no surprise that Queenstown’s many visitors are awed by their first glimpse of the city.
Even judge Bill Prince described his landing experience as a “world class approach to a world class destination.”
“Our poll has become an annual checklist for the well-travelled, and offers a fascinating mix of global descents,” says chief executive of PrivateFly, Adam Twidell.
In previous years, winners of the annual poll include Nice Cote D’Azur Airport in 2014, and St Maarten Princess Juliana International Airport in the Caribbean in 2013.
Top 10 Most Stunning Airport Approaches (2015):
1. Queenstown Airport, New Zealand.
2. Las Vegas McCarran Airport, USA.
3. Nice Cote D’Azur Airport, France.
4. Barra Airport, Outer Hebrides, Scotland.
5. St Maarten Princess Juliana International Airport, Caribbean.
6. Saba’s Juancho E Yrausquin Airport, Caribbean.
7. Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, Canada.
8. Gibraltar Airport, Gibraltar.
9. London City Airport, UK.
10. Cape Town Airport, South Africa.