MSC Cruises and Costa Cruises have canceled all port stops to Tunisia for the rest of the year following the terrorist attack in the capital March 18th.
The move comes after MSC Cruises cancelled ports of call in Tunis following the March attack at the Brado National Museum, where some of its passengers were killed.
“Tunisia can little afford to be considered a no-go zone at this time, but regrettably that is how tourists will now see it,” said MSC Cruises executive chairman Piefrancesco Vago.
MSC Cruises has confirmed 12 passengers traveling on MSC Splendida were killed, and Costa Cruises has confirmed that five passengers on Costa Fascinosa were also killed. A further 13 MSC Cruises passengers are confirmed as injured: one Belgian, seven French, four Japanese and one South African, two of which are in serious condition. The last two missing MSC passengers were found safe after a night in hiding at the Bardo National Museum, where the attack took place.
Costa Cruises confirmed that eight passengers have been injured and are receiving treatment.
Britain has advised all nationals in Tunisia to leave, warning its citizens that local authorities could not provide “adequate protection” after last month’s beach massacre that left 30 Britons dead and more wounded.
“Although we have had good co-operation from the Tunisian government, including putting in place additional security measures, the intelligence and threat picture has developed considerably, reinforcing our view that a further terrorist attack is highly likely,” the Foreign Office said.
On Saturday, Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi decreed a state of emergency in the north African country for 30 days, and Prime Minister Habib Essid said on Wednesday that the government feared more attacks.