Man Dies from Toxic Fumes, Auckland Hotel Evacuated

0

The Hotel Grand Chancellor in Auckland, New Zealand, was evacuated this Tuesday morning due to reported toxic fumes coming from one of the guest rooms.

One guest was found dead in conjunction with the evacuation, removed from the same room from which the fumes originated. Several attempts by ambulance staff to revive him were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead.The New Zealand Herald identified the man as 58-year-old Mark Lawrence Ivil, noting that he had been due in court that day in connection to his role in a $4.2 million property scam.

Police say Mr Ivil’s death was not being treated as suspicious but are not releasing any more details in relation to his death.

At least 12 vehicles from the local fire service, as well as numerous personnel in white hazard suits, were witnessed at the scene. They evacuated guests and set up a decontamination zone upon arrival. Ambulance officers assessed 10 patients at the scene, but none needed to be taken to hospital.

By 2 p.m. local time, emergency personnel had given the all clear signal to re-enter the building.

Speaking to the New Zealand Herald, a spokesman for Grand Hotels International said, “The reported incident was not caused by the hotel and all hotel operations have now resumed as per normal. The hotel management team would like to reassure all hotel guests that the hotel is fully operational and guest bookings will not be affected due to this incident. “

About Author

Lisa Nikolau

Lisa Nikolau is a freelance writer who has been specializing in travel, culture and current events since 2012. She currently writes on travel and news related topics for YouTravel.com.au.She has traveled to Peru, throughout west and eastern Europe, and has lived in southern Spain.At the moment, Lisa’s favorite pastimes are learning foreign languages, exploring hiking trails in the Olympic National Forest, and ending the day with friends at one of Seattle’s many microbreweries.