A powerful cyclone is moving quickly toward the coast of the Tropical North Queensland. The authority has ordered to evacuate some areas as soon as possible.
Lots of tourists have visited Queensland to spend their holidays. However, Cyclone Debbie has ruined their plans and forced them to leave the vacation spots. The weather office has already declared it a category 3 cyclone on Monday, March 27. It is bearing down on the tourism belt between Ayr and Bowen and is expected to hit those areas on Tuesday.
The windstorm has already battered some Whitsunday Islands, and the police reported the death of a tourist in a two-vehicle crash because of the wild weather. The evacuation process has been started in Airlie Beach, Proserpine, and Bowen, the low-lying areas in that region.
Photo Credit: ABC
News.com.au reported by citing Caroline Murray that the Long Island in the Whitsundays had been evacuated already. Ms Murray is Palm Bay Resort’s general manager. She said that most of the tourists left the area because they didn’t want to get caught in the storm.
Since the catastrophic Cyclone Yasi in 2011, Cyclone Debbie seems to be the strongest and most powerful. A couple of airlines including Qantas, Virgin Australia, and Jetstar have cancelled their flights in and out Mackay, Hamilton Island, and Townsville.
The ports in the Whitsundays have been shut down since the weekend. Annastacia Palazczuk, the premier of Queensland, said that they had contacted the Whitsundays resorts.
Photo Credit: ABC
Alex de Waal, the chief executive of Tourism Tropical North Queensland, hoped that the cyclone wouldn’t do anything more than having a short-term impact on the tourism in the region. He even claimed that many tourists were happy to get the opportunity to experience a tropical cyclone.