The Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB) has been preparing for hosting the Cathay Pacific International Chinese New Year Night Parade. The board has been planning for a grand celebration this year, expecting to draw around 150,000 spectators.
The annual celebratory event will take place on February 16, the first day of Lunar New Year. Based on the theme Best Fortune. World Party, the event will go on from 23:00 to 24:45 AEST time in Tsim Sha Tsui – the shopping and nightlife district in Kowloon. Cathay Pacific Airways, the flag carrier of Hong Kong is the title sponsor of this ceremony.
The parade this year will feature nine magnificent floats and international and local performing groups. The performances include cheerleaders, magic, dance, and cabaret music. There will also be a mashup performance featuring a Western marching band and Chinese drums.
Some of the world record holders and champions to participate this year’s event are:
- Japan’s three-time national juggling winner Jugglers Vision
- Winner of several international busking awards Unicycle Circus Theatre Witty Look from Japan
- Czech Republic’s Zee Comedy Magic & Zeejay Juggler (winner of many awards and world record holder)
- World champion in Diabolo Taiwan’s Diaboloism
- Thirteen Guinness World Records holder XPOGO Stunt Team from the United States
Visit Discover Hong Kong to know details about the event. The Chinese New Year festival will take place from February 10 to March 4, 2018. The city will host fireworks show, a parade of floats, race tracks, and several other performances during that period.